Matt did a good bit of work on one of my newest songs, a piece of which is below. Since it is always interesting how engineers approach songs, here are some of Matt's notes.
- I began by editing all tracks and evaluating for clicks, pops, etc. In general, I used the artist's previous mix, "Shame," as a reference for the overall feeling and vibe of the track.
- I used Trigger 2 to modify the sound of the drum kit, particularly the kick and snare. I then sent the entire kit through the API 2500 Bus compressor for parallel compression.
- For the guitars, I used GTRStomp 2 and bussed a few of the tracks to EchoBoy.
- The vocals were tuned using MaagEQ4, run through a Tubetech compressor, and then committed. I used a Little Plate by Sound Toys for the reverb.
- I used Bluecat audios Freq Analyst, Waves WLM meter for LUFS, and Scheps 73 to adjust mid/side and evaluate stereo imaging.
- I spent a decent amount of time using automation on the guitar volume/delays and the toms to make sure they were present during solos and transitions.
- I did not want to put a brick wall limiter on the whole track as I felt that it was not required based on previous songs by the artist. The bus compression through the SSL helped with some volume discrepancies.
- The mix was summed through the stereo bus compressor on an SSL Duality Delta, mixed in split-channel mode.
- Gtr Stomp 2
- Scheps 73
- WLM Plus
- API 2500
- Maag EQ4
- Box Console N
- Echo Boy
- Little Plate
- EQ3 7-Parametric EQ
- Freq Analyst
Here is a piece of the song.
Click Play to hear Bang.