admin: First posted on 2016 06 29
mic, 2016 06 29: Version 2.5.9 of Orinj was released on June 29, 2016. This version contains only a few changes, but we rushed to put this version up, as: 1) the changes were relatively significant; and 2) we are planning a couple of other significant changes, because of which the next version may have to wait for a couple of months.
The following are the changes:
- We changed the two skins of Orinj (light and dark). These are two of the skins that will be used in Orinj version 3. Now, users can see what Orinj version 3 will look like, but the reason for the change was different. The older skins created problems with using sliders, whereas sliders will page up or down by only one (unit, percent, etc., whatever the slider may be), rather than by more as they should.
- We changed all effects, so that if the effect introduces a delay in the original signal, this delay is heard even when the original signal has ended. For example, now the end repetitions of the Orinj Echo will be heard when the original wave is finished, which is more appropriate. Before, the echo would continue over the wave, but the end of the wave would not result in an echo as the effect would stop whenever the original wave stopped.
- We separated the playback and recording threads of Orinj, so that processing recorded data does not have to wait for the sending of playback data to the output. Before, if play buffers were large, recording will work normally, but the data that was needed to draw the recorded wave would not get to the screen on time and the wave would not be drawn appropriately.
- We fixed the VU meters so that they are properly updated at places of the tracks where there is no data, such as between waves. Prior to this change, the VU meters would stop at whatever their last value was, rather than go to zero.
- We removed the distinction between disk access buffers and input / output access buffers under Preferences Buffers in the Orinj menu. This was never implemented and should not have been a user parameter.
- We made some minor changes to speed up the mixing of waves in tracks.
- We made some minor changes to the bottom portion of Orinj, so that it does not hide when Orinj is first opened.
The next larger change would be to separate undo in the multitrack session, loop building view, and other views. Since these undo actions are now all in the same undo stack, certain things in Orinj cannot be undone (such as the cutting of whole waves in the multitrack session). This is a large change, which will take some time to implement and more time to test. Thus, the next version will likely not be out for at least two months.